Pages

Saturday, May 15, 2010

A"door"able Hanger

A few weeks ago, while perusing my local Habitat ReStore, I came across TONS of old cabinet doors. And they were all soo aged and beautiful! I'm sure the volunteer working the place thought I was crazy as I stood there forever trying to figure out what I could do with them. And then it hit me -- decorative hooks! I bought several since I wasn't sure what size I wanted and, at only $5 a piece, I was giddy.


I then went to Hobby Lobby and found several door knobs, all 1/2 half -- which made them less than $2 a piece! I just bought an assortment that I thought might work for some place in our house. When I got home, I decided I wanted to first make one for my closet to fix my mess of purses. So, I decided on the smaller white cabinet door, and started laying out the knobs.


Once I had them slightly arranged, I marked a dot with a pen {you might want to measure -- it was late and I was just excited to get it done}. I then ventured into Man's Land {beating on chest} to do the messy stuff.


I'm guessing J thinks that workbench is organized? Anyway, I carefully cleared a spot, found some sand paper, and thought I would rough up the edges a bit. And then the smart bug hit me -- there's no telling how old some of the doors are {lead paint, anyone?}, so I put on a mask. Not that it mattered -- that paint was on soo freakin' thick, not even said paper could touch it. So I cheated.


I went around all the edges with dark brown Chalk Ink and smudged it in. Same affect, a little less work :).


I then drilled my holes...


At least they look halfway aligned...


I was trying to think of how I would actually hang the thing, and decided I want to use the original hinges. Only I couldn't get that darn top screw out to save my life. So, I'll have to get J to help me -- I'm thinking it'll have to be cut off?


I then brought it back inside and simply screwed in the knobs. I ended up switching the "K" knob out for the white rose. What do you think??


I just LOVE all of the knobs -- they're each soo beautiful ... and such a steal!







Just can't wait to get it hung! I'll post a few pics once it's up, but for now it'll sit pretty on my dresser...


What do you think?!

Linking up to these fabulous parties:
Saturday Night Special @ Funky Junk Interiors
Check Me Out Saturdays @ A Vision to Remember
Weekend Wrap Up @ Tatertots and Jello

24 comments:

Wendy said...

What a fun project! Great idea to use different knobs!! Looks fabulous :)
Wendy

Bec said...

Oh my gosh- I was just at hobby lobby last night and I found their aisle of decorative knobs and was like, man, I wish I had a project to use these on. PERFECT!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

I'm lovin' how you used these "CUTE" knobs from HL...I might just copy you:)

Blessings,
Linda

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

great job! I love all the knobs.
gail

Megan Gunyan said...

I agree, I love that look! The knobs are awesome! I did something kind of like this just a little while ago...check it out! Have a great night.

http://alittleknickknack.blogspot.com/2010/05/another-fun-cupboard-door.html

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

Your project turned out great! I love the knobs you got. I wish I still had a Hobby Lobby nearby. What a deal those were.

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Very cool! The different knobs give your piece such a fun twist! And loving your cheat method of distressing. I use a darker latex paint for the same effect.

Thanks for linking up to SNS!
FJ Donna

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Fabulous! I juts adore the mix of knobs you used. It makes this piece unique and fun! Would love to have you stop by the Sunday Showcase Party if you get a chance. You've done a great job on this piece! Hope you are having a great weekend! ~ Stephanie Lynn

Decor To Adore said...

Such a clever and creative girl. My heart is going pitty pat.

Katie said...

Wow, LOVED waking up to everyone's lovely comments this morning!! Thanks SO much! By the way, I just linked up to Stephanie's Sunday Showcase, so be sure to check out all the awesome projects there, too!

http://www.bystephanielynn.com/2010/05/sunday-showcase-party-wmirrormate.html

Erica said...

love it! Stopping by from Sunday Showcase Party.
-Mama E

FrouFrouBritches said...

I love the ReStore! Great job. I love all the different knobs you chose. Very cute!

Kristen Andrews said...

very cool project, very shabby chic.

Brianna! said...

I passed a blog award to YOU!
its on my blog so be sure to stop by and check it out

xoxo
bB

Katie said...

How awesome, Brianna! Thanks!! :)

Leanne said...

I love it. And all those different knobs really make it stand out. You did an amazing job!

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Fabulous job! Love the knobs - they are gorgeous! Thanks so much for joining the Sunday Showcase. I greatly appreciate it! Hope you are enjoying your week. ~ Stephanie Lynn

Amanda said...

That is totally fabulous! LOVE all the different knobs!

Katie said...

Thank you thank you thank you!! :)

One Life Many Journeys said...

A-DORE-A-Ble! Love me some Habitat!

Amanda @ Healthy House on the Block said...

This is such a cute idea! I love all the different knobs! You did a great job!

Visiting from DIY Showoff

Val said...

I love how this turned out! Great job and all those cool knobs...lovin'! Contgrats on being featured on the DIY Show Off.

Tonya said...

I LOVE this idea! I want to steal this and use it to hange some of my necklaces in my bathroom. LOVE all the different knobs.

Anonymous said...

I love this. Totally cute and very chic. I am a new follower. Hop on over to my blog sometime http://alaynahoward.blogspot.com :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...