Pages

Friday, July 2, 2010

"Home" Plates

The wall above the breakfast nook's been looking a little bare...


I kept thinking I wanted to hang plates there, just not sure what kind. Then, after seeing many of you monogram your own plates, I thought I'd do something similar. So, I found these beautiful white plates on clearance at Target.


I had paint brushes, but went to Hobby Lobby and bought some black Acrylic paint and 4" stencils.


I cut around the letters I wanted and taped them down.


J walked in while I was painting the first one, and asked if the paint would bleed underneath the stencil. Of course not silly, I replied ... then ate my words when I removed the stencil. Oops!


Guess I'll have to figure out a different way to do that. Although, after all the plates were dry, I used a small pair of sharp scissors to scrape off the paint I didn't want. Cleaned it up quite nicely, I think!


I'd also bought these plate hangers to glue to the back of each plate...


But, once I was ready to hang, I realized the backs of my plates aren't flat:


I may go ahead and try it anyway. Otherwise, I'll have to think of a Plan B. So, for now, they're resting on the kitchen island. Super simple, and super cute! :)


Linking up to these fabulous parties:


13 comments:

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Love them...I'll have to find those disks to hang the plates!

Rondell

Unknown said...

They turned out great! I have been thinking of doing some of these as well, but was going to use vinyl. Never thought of just painting them, duh! :) Visting from Frugalistic Fridays @Finding Fabulous.
~MakazHome.com

Amanda @ Healthy House on the Block said...

Oh I LOVE your plates! They turned out absolutely beautiful! You did such a fantastic job!

Thanks so much for visiting and your sweet comments!!

Anonymous said...

I love the plates!! Came out great and don't you love those hangers? No wires, you can buy them at ACMoore or Rhoda at Southern Hospitality blog has them in her shop.

Wendy said...

Wow! What a great idea! I have seen other's using those plate disc's! Will need to give them a try! Looks great :)
Wendy

Kimmy said...

Very cute idea!! They turned out great :)

Katie said...

Thanks all!! I bought the plate hangers at Hobby Lobby (they have two sizes), but sounds like there's several places to find them! Hopefully I'll get them hung this weekend and will post an update :).

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

so cute! great job.
gail

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh, I LOVE THE PLATES!! Great job!

Brittany Jane said...

What an awesome Idea.

Nancy's Silver Lining said...

Cute idea! Little hurdles never stop a creative genious. You did great.
Nancy

Debbiedoos said...

I love that so cute! Second time I have seen the discs I am going to try those. Thanks for your vote too by the way, still pending the results on the Oprah site. It was so much fun!

Honey I'm Home Blog said...

Love this idea! Thanks for sharing.

Warmly, Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...